Soil contamination, despite being highly localised, is a significant environmental issue. The Fruitgrowers Chemical Company built a pesticide plant at Māpua, Nelson in 1932, and 13 years later began producing organochlorine pesticides. Chemicals were spilt or leached out and contaminated the soil, groundwater and sediments in the nearby estuary. When the plant closed in 1988 the site was abandoned. In 1999 the government decided to assist Tasman District Council with funding its cleanup. By 2009 the work was nearly completed.
Courtesy of Nelson Mail
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.