This lithograph of Kaitotehe pā near Taupiri is based on an 1844 painting by George French Angas. It shows a large complex of buildings grouped around a central marae (courtyard), with tall palisades around the perimeter. Kaitotehe was for a time the home of the chief Pōtatau Te Wherowhero, who in 1858 became the first Māori king.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.