This oil painting shows the famed silica terraces which were colonial New Zealand’s premier tourist attraction. The White Terraces were known as Te Tarata (the tattooed rock). The Pink Terraces, known as Ō-tū-kapua-rangi (fountain of the clouded sky), were smaller and lower. Tourists were taken to the terraces in whaleboats or canoes. When the terraces were obliterated in the Tarawera eruption of 1886, many Te Arawa lost jobs as the tourist trade dried up.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.