Story: Ngāti Toarangatira

Paremata whaling station

Paremata whaling station

In the 1840s the whaling station of Joseph Toms (spelt 'Thoms' in the picture title) at Paremata was next to a which was occupied by a sub-tribe of Ngāti Toa. The proximity of the station and the pā indicated the close dealings between Māori and early Pākehā settlers on the Kapiti coast.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0020-05-3
Engraving after a drawing by Samuel Charles Brees

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Mīria Pōmare, 'Ngāti Toarangatira - 19th century: rise and fall', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/1354/paremata-whaling-station (accessed 27 September 2020)

Story by Mīria Pōmare, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 1 Mar 2017