This is part of an article in the Inangahua Herald of 6 August 1888 that details the coming of electricity to Reefton on the West Coast. It was the first supply of commercial power and electric light in the southern hemisphere, and was generated by a small hydroelectric scheme.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Inangahua Times, 6 August 1888, p. 2
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.