Story: Gold and gold mining

Simpson and Hart’s brewery, 1904

Simpson and Hart’s brewery, 1904

Located at Wetherstons, near Lawrence in Central Otago, this brewery was one of many that sated the miners’ thirst. Beer was first brewed in Wetherstons in 1863 and the brewery closed in 1923. Alcohol was sold to miners through many hotels, and by even more numerous illegal ‘sly grog’ sources. In 1872 there were 220 hotels on the Otago goldfields, with estimates of the number of sly grog shanties put at 400–500.

About this item

Otago Daily Times
Reference: Otago Witness, 4 May 1904

Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Gold and gold mining - Gold and the economy', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/8656/simpson-and-harts-brewery-1904 (accessed 23 November 2017)

Story by Carl Walrond, published 12 Jun 2006