During the 1990s many long-running New Zealand papers went out of business, usually because of amalgamation and competition from electronic media. One of those was the Manawatu Herald, founded in Foxton in 1878. By 1997 the Herald was one of several local newspapers owned by Manawatu Standard Ltd. This company decided to close the Herald and extend another of its titles, the Horowhenua Mail, into its circulation area. In this photo published in the last issue on 30 April 1997, Manawatu Herald receptionist Shirley How (left), veteran reporter Anne-Marie Hunt and advertising consultant Veronica Hirini peruse the paper.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: Manawatu Herald, 30 April 1997, p. 1 (N-P-1854-1)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Courtesy of Fairfax NZ