On 25 June 1921 Carlaw Park, at the foot of Parnell Rise in Auckland, was opened by MP and former mayor of Auckland Arthur M. Myers as a playing venue for Auckland rugby league. The first game, seen here in progress following the opening ceremony, was between City Rovers and Maritime, and was watched by 7,000 fans. The ground was closed in 2002 and became the site of a multi-storey car park and hotel.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.