This is the playground at Devonport School, a public primary school, around 1910. The playground is segregated, with a wooden fence separating the boys' playground from the smaller girls' area (behind the flagpole on the right). The boys were probably given a larger area as they were expected to play more active games. The lack of play equipment in both areas is notable.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, William Archer Price Collection (PAColl-3057)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment