The British rugby team plays Canterbury at Lancaster Park on 13 June 1908. Lancaster Park was originally developed in 1880 as a private ground for cricket and athletics. The promoters were able to charge for admission, which they could not do initially at the public ground of Hagley Park. This was also an important factor in encouraging rugby administrators to hold their games at the ground.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by Leslie Hinge
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.