This is the front page of an 1861 issue of the government-sponsored newspaper Te Karere Maori, also known by its English title, The Maori Messenger. This issue carries details of the Native Districts Regulation Act 1858, which set up district rūnanga or Māori-controlled local councils. Te Karere Maori was replaced by Te Manuhiri Tuarangi and Maori Intelligencer. Both newspapers aimed to acclimatise Māori to European habits and customs.
Using this item
Niupepa: Maori newspapers
Reference: Te Karere Maori or Maori Messenger, 16 December, 1861, p.1
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment