This version of the New Zealand coat of arms was approved by the British College of Arms in 1911, after a design competition in which 75 entries were received. The 1956 redesign of the coat of arms (still in use in the 2000s) was based on this 1911 version, with a number of differences. The later design featured a crown above the shield, rather than a lion with a Union Jack; the European woman and Māori man faced one another; the words ‘New Zealand’ replaced ‘Onward’; and the scroll was framed by fern leaves.
The 1911 coat of arms had the following official heraldic description:
Arms: Quarterly, Azure and Gules on a Pale Argent three Lymphads (sailing vessels) Sable. In the first quarter four Mullets in cross of the last each surmounted by a Mullet of the second (representing the Constellation of the Southern Cross); in the second quarter a Fleece; in the third a Garb (wheat sheaf); and in the fourth two Mining Hammers in Saltire all Or.
Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi-Lion rampant guardant Or supporting a flag-staff erect proper thereon flying to the sinister [left] the Union Flag. Supporters: On the dexter side, a female figure proper vested Argent supporting in the dexter hand a Flag-staff proper, hoisted thereon the Ensign of the Dominion of New Zealand, and on the sinister side a Maori Rangatira vested proper holding in his dexter hand a Taiaha all proper.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.