These portraits are of members of the 'Whare o Raro' or lower house of the Kotahitanga Parliament from the 1893 sitting at Waipatu, Hawke's Bay. The parliament met from 1892 to 1902 in locations around the North Island. It had an informal meeting at Waitangi in 1892, and then met with elected members at Waipatu in 1892 and 1893. In 1894 it sat at Pākirikiri near Gisborne. In 1895 it sat in Rotorua, with further sittings in 1900 and 1901. The 1896 meeting was at Tokaanu, Taupō. In 1897 and 1898 it sat at Pāpāwai, Greytown. The final sitting was at Waiōmatatini on the East Coast of the North Island.
Using this item
Kia Ngawari Trust
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.