The original gift of Tongariro National Park covered only the volcanoes of Ruapehu, Ngāuruhoe and Tongariro (dashed red line). Leonard Cockayne made a botanical survey in 1908, identifying the distinctive plant associations, and recommended that the boundaries of the park be extended, as shown by the solid red line.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 832.17gbbg/1908/Acc.5827
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment