Story: South Canterbury region

Timaru’s two towns

Usually towns were founded by either government or private enterprise. Timaru was established by both. In 1853 the Rhodes brothers surveyed a town behind Caroline Bay; three years later the government surveyed its own town south of the Rhodes’s settlement. As is evident in this 1864 plan, North Street divided the towns. Eventually the two settlements merged.

Using this item

Christchurch Regional Office, Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: CAAR, CH 287, CP189, ICPW 1211/1864

Permission of Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga (Christchurch Regional Office) must be obtained before any re-use of this material.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'South Canterbury region - Timaru and its port', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/11338/timarus-two-towns (accessed 25 August 2019)

Story by John Wilson, updated 2 Feb 2017