In the early 1840s, Europeans did not travel far inland from the east coast of the South Island. However, in 1844 Edward Shortland met the chief Te Huruhuru when crossing the Waitaki River. Te Huruhuru provided this map of the inland lakes, so Europeans knew of them before they reached the area. It shows Lake Wānaka (top) and Lake Wakatipu (bottom), with the Clutha and Kawarau rivers flowing out of each respectively. The note ‘2 days to Awarua on the West Coast’ (top left) was perhaps optimistic about the time it would take to cross Haast Pass to Awarua on foot.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Edward Shortland, The southern districts of New Zealand. London: Longman, Brown, Green, & Longmans, 1851, facing p. 205
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.