Story: Early mapping

Lyttelton Harbour and neighbouring bays

In 1849 the Acheron left Wellington and began a survey of the South Island. The ship travelled to Port Cooper (Lyttelton) and surveyed the harbour and surrounding bays. Members of the crew explored inland, establishing survey points for the Canterbury Association. Published by the British Admiralty in 1856, the chart shows the detail Stokes brought to the hydrographic survey.

About this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 834.44gmfs/1856/Acc.95

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Melanie Lovell-Smith, 'Early mapping - The coastline: 1840 to 1855', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/10795/lyttelton-harbour-and-neighbouring-bays (accessed 21 October 2017)

Story by Melanie Lovell-Smith, published 24 Sep 2007