This map is thought to date from before 1864. It shows the two townships that became the borough of Timaru in 1868. The town to the north was built on land acquired by the Rhodes brothers in 1853 and laid out by a private surveyor, E. H. Lough. Samuel Hewlings, a surveyor employed by the government, laid out the town to the south. The two meet at North Road (approximately the middle of the map). The surveyors worked separately, and the result can be seen on this map. Some of the roads laid out by Lough to the north follow the east–west topography of the land, while Hewlings’s generally run parallel to the beach, as government surveyors were instructed to draw them.
Using this item
Christchurch Regional Office, Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: CAAR, CH 287, CP189, ICPW 1211/1864
Permission of Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga (Christchurch Regional Office) must be obtained before any re-use of this material.