Story: Early mapping

‘Port de Tarranarki’, 1824

This is a facsimile from the original plate of Jules de Blosseville’s map of the North Island. De Blosseville, a midshipman on the Coquille, visited the Bay of Islands in 1824 and drew this map based on others’ information. There is an imaginary large harbour, Port de Tarranarki, on the west coast, south of Mt Taranaki (‘Pouké é Aoupapa’). This myth persisted in maps of New Zealand for many years.

About this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 830aj/1824/Acc.48855

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Melanie Lovell-Smith, 'Early mapping - French charts before 1840', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/zoomify/10777/port-de-tarranarki-1824 (accessed 22 October 2017)

Story by Melanie Lovell-Smith, published 24 Sep 2007