The Karori Children's Centre in Wellington opened in 1942 – in the middle of the Second World War. It was preceded by the playcentre in the Karori Parish Hall, which opened in April 1941. During this period women undertook paid work previously done by men, some in the absence of husbands who were away fighting in the war. This created an increased need for childcare services and was the context in which the centre opened. It also catered for children whose mothers did not do paid work.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Weekly Review 73. National Film Unit, 1943
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence