Story: Early childhood education and care

Kelburn Playcentre

Kelburn Playcentre

Playcentres are part-day child-education centres run by parents. The first opened in Karori, Wellington, in April 1941, followed by the nearby Kelburn Playcentre, which opened two months later. These girls are painting at the Kelburn centre in 1950.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Evening Post Collection (PAColl-0614)
Reference: 114/150/04

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Kerryn Pollock, 'Early childhood education and care - Government support, 1940s to 1970s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/32078/kelburn-playcentre (accessed 15 November 2019)

Story by Kerryn Pollock, published 20 Jun 2012