During the Second World War several thousand cars were converted to run on coal gas or on charcoal-burning gas producers. The government waived a mileage tax for converted cars, eager to reduce petrol use. There was another advantage in conversion: petrol was strictly rationed until June 1950.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Surface shelters. National Film Unit, 1942
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence