These men are laying coal-gas pipes in Palmeston North, around 1910. The gas-main pipes, which were usually metal, are supported on wooden horses. Joints were sealed by the tarry compounds in coal gas as it passed through the pipes.
Using this item
Palmerston North City Library
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.