In 1966 Radio Hauraki began to broadcast from a ship outside New Zealand waters, so as to circumvent the restrictions on commercial radio. With its focus on popular music, the station quickly attracted a youthful audience – as can be seen in this photo of supporters outside the Auckland Town Hall in October 1966. Radio Hauraki also became known for its highly professional and slick radio advertising. Listen to one of the first test transmissions on 1480 ‘top of the dial’ and broadcast from Radio Hauraki’s ship, Tiri, anchored in international waters in the Hauraki Gulf.
Sound file courtesy of Radio Hauraki.
Using this item
New Zealand Herald
Permission of the New Zealand Herald must be obtained before any re-use of this image.