A thin copper lode was discovered on Kawau Island in 1842, and a mine was opened in 1846. Over the next two decades, about 2,500 tonnes of ore was mined and smelted for copper. At the water’s edge are the 20-metre chimney and ruins of the building that housed the steam engine and pump used to keep the mine free of water.
Using this item
Photograph by Bruce Thompson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.