Story: Northland places

Deptford dockyard

Deptford dockyard

Ngāpuhi chief Patuone visited Sydney in 1826 and promoted the Hokianga Harbour as a trading base. As a result, merchants from New South Wales established a timber mill and shipyard there. They named it Deptford after the famous Royal Navy shipyard in England. Several ships were built there in the years before colonisation, including the barque Sir George Murray in 1830.

Using this item

National Library of Australia, Rex Nan Kivell Collection
Reference: nla.pic-an2838541
Watercolour by Augustus Earle

Permission of the National Library of Australia must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Hokianga district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7841/deptford-dockyard (accessed 22 May 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015