Some of the historic buildings along Russell’s waterfront date back to the early days of its settlement, when the town was known as Kororāreka. The sacking of Kororāreka in 1845 during war between local Māori chiefs and British forces destroyed many buildings in the town, as did subsequent fires, but some dating back to the 1830s and 1840s have survived.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.