In the early 1890s it was discovered that the wooden lighthouse had been weakened by the wind and abrasive sand. It was replaced by this steel latticework structure in 1897. During the interwar years the lighthouse was serviced by trucks, which travelled along the spit at low tide.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by P. R. Dingwall
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.