The Nelson Provincial Council built New Zealand’s second permanent lighthouse in 1862 on the natural breakwater that protects the harbour. The lighthouse tower, 18.3 metres high, was made of cast iron imported from Bath, England. It was decommissioned in 1982, but remains popular with tourists.
Using this item
Phantom House Publishing
Photograph by Grant Sheehan
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.