Story: Lighthouses

Pencarrow cottage

Pencarrow cottage

On 1 January 1859 New Zealand’s first lighthouse was opened at Pencarrow Head. For the previous decade the entrance to Wellington Harbour had been marked by a light in the bay window of the cottage in this sketch.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-032-012
Pencil sketch by H. Wilson

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Helen Beaglehole, 'Lighthouses - Beginnings', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/6650/pencarrow-cottage (accessed 16 July 2018)

Story by Helen Beaglehole, published 12 Jun 2006