Ngāti Porou leader and scholar Āpirana Ngata helped organise the celebrations for the centennial of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1940, and the construction and opening of a carved house at Waitangi. He is seen here leading a haka at the celebrations at Waitangi. The men are from C Company of the 28th (Māori) Battalion.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.