The Tudor-style Rotorua bathhouse, opened in 1908, was a symbol of the government’s ambition to create a great South Seas spa. It was designed to attract visitors from New Zealand and overseas. The imposing façade of the building was matched by a luxurious interior, furnished with marble sculptures, magnificent porcelain baths and plush couches. Outside there were beautifully kept gardens, a band rotunda, bowling and croquet greens, and tennis courts.
Using this item
Rotorua Museum of Art and History, Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa
Permission of Rotorua Museum of Art and History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.