The foundations of this dwelling are made of whalebone. Originally a two-roomed cottage, it was built in 1842 as part of the Waiopuka whaling station at Kaikōura, established by Alexander Robert Fyffe (known as Robert). It housed a cooper – an essential member of the whaling community who made the barrels to hold the oil. The house was extended in the early 1860s by Robert’s cousin, George Fyffe.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.