An important shore-whaling area was around the south and east coasts of the South Island. The brothers Joseph and Edward Weller established a productive station, Ōtākou, at Otago Harbour in 1831, but it closed after 10 years. This painting shows the station buildings at the harbour head.
Using this item
Toitū Otago Settlers Museum
Oil painting by A. Colville
Permission of Toitū Otago Settlers Museum must be obtained before any re-use of this image.