Scows and small steamers (nicknamed ‘rock hoppers’ because of the dangerous harbours they served) connected outlying villages, farms and mines to the main ports. The scow Jane Gifford, shown here alongside the jetty at Great Barrier Island’s Port FitzRoy in 1924, was fully restored in 2009.
Using this item
Museum of Wellington City and Sea
Photograph by C. W. Hawkins
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.