Story: Bay of Plenty region

Te Whetū-o-Te Rangi (2nd of 3)

Te Whetū-o-Te Rangi

This Ngāti Pūkenga meeting house at Ngāpeke, near Tauranga, was opened on Christmas Day 1915. In 1989 carvings depicting the Mataatua forebears of the tribe were completed.

The meeting house pictured was destroyed by fire in 2006, but it was rebuilt and reopened in 2008.

Using this item

Private collection

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Bay of Plenty region - Creative arts and heritage', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 22 July 2024)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 Aug 2016