This memorial marks the commemorated site of the final landing place of Te Arawa after the voyage from Hawaiki. The cairn was built for the 1940 centenary of the Treaty of Waitangi. These young people of Te Arawa ki Maketū were photographed in 1949.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.