Story: Radioactive minerals

Last hope for uranium

Last hope for uranium

Geologists and prospectors pose outside the opening to the tunnel that Lime and Marble called ‘Uraniums Last Hope’ on the south side of the Buller Gorge in 1960. Back (left to right): geologists Reg Sprigg and Bill Watters, and company owner Tas McKee. Front (left to right): prospectors George Sheldon and Tom Cross.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Jock Braithwaite

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rebecca Priestley, 'Radioactive minerals - Uranium prospecting, 1956 onwards', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/4793/last-hope-for-uranium (accessed 17 November 2019)

Story by Rebecca Priestley, published 12 Jun 2006