The Museum of Waitangi was officially opened on Waitangi Day 2016 by Governor-General Sir Jerry Mateparae. Before the opening northern Māori blessed the museum at a dawn ceremony and formally named it Te Kōngahu, a Ngāpuhi word for an unborn child. The building was opened to the public the following day.
The museum and education centre were part of a $14 million redevelopment of the Treaty Grounds. A major tourist attraction, the museum aims to tell the history and stories of Waitangi, as well as bringing together taonga that were previously spread across the country. In this photograph a visitor examines a model of the Treaty House. Behind him is an example of the 1834 flag that was adopted by the United Tribes.
Using this item
Courtesy of Workshop e. Their permission must be obtained before any re-use of this image.