The beautiful meeting house Eripitana at Te Whāiti in the Urewera was built by followers of the prophet Te Kooti, and opened in 1884. In an important departure from earlier architectural traditions, the house's striking ornamentation is largely painted rather than carved. Eripitana is one of several such meeting houses built to celebrate Te Kooti's Ringatū faith. Others include Te Whai-a-te-Motu at Ruatāhuna, Rongopai at Waituhi, Te Aroha at Pūhā and Te Ngāwari at Mangatū.
Using this item
Architecture Archive, The University of Auckland
Photograph by Lynne Logan
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.