Thomas Heberley of Te Āti Awa (left), Māori carver at the Dominion Museum in Wellington, directs carpenters reassembling the Te Awhi pātaka (storehouse) at the museum in 1936. Heberley was the first Māori employed as a full-time staff member at the Dominion Museum. He repaired and reconstructed whakairo (carvings) and was involved in a carving and weaving workshop. Te Awhi (also known as Pukehina) was originally carved at Maketū in the Bay of Plenty in 1839. Ngāti Pikiao chiefs donated the pātaka to the museum in 1910.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.