These Māori artefacts are from the Augustus Hamilton collection at the Hawke's Bay Philosophical Institute, Napier, in the late 1880s. Hamilton, a significant collector of Māori material, was appointed director of the Colonial Museum in Wellington in 1903. He shifted the museum's focus to concentrate more on ethnology, in particular the study of things Māori. The display of material and the studies that were carried out tended to reflect Pākehā ideas about Māori, rather than the way Māori saw themselves.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.