Hōne Taiapa was head carver at the Rotorua Māori Arts and Crafts Institute in Whakarewarewa when this 1970 photo was taken. He was the younger brother of the renowned Ngāti Porou carver Pine Taiapa, and the two men worked together from the mid-1930s. Their projects included the centennial meeting house at Waitangi, carved in the northern style and opened in 1940.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: AAQT 6401 A92,746
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence