Rongopai (which means 'good news') is the meeting house for Rongopai marae at Waituhi, Poverty Bay. It was built hastily in 1888 by young followers of prophet and military leader Te Kooti Arikirangi Te Tūruki, to welcome him to their district. They departed dramatically from traditional styles and techniques, as they painted, rather than carved, the house, and their designs were influenced by European styles, colours and images. In the 2000s the house is seen as an exuberant example of Māori artwork in a time of turmoil and transition.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.