Story: Ngāi Tūhoe

Waitangi Tribunal hearing at Waikaremoana, 2004

Waitangi Tribunal hearing at Waikaremoana, 2004

By the early 20th century Ngāi Tūhoe had lost most of their land through government policies. Much of that land was either in private hands or under administration by government agencies; for example, the Department of Conservation administered the Urewera National Park (1956–2014). A claim to the Waitangi Tribunal sought redress for these losses. There were 33 claimant groups, most of whom were Ngāi Tūhoe. In November 2003 tribunal hearings began at Tātaiahape marae, Waimana. Each month the venue moved to a different Tūhoe community. This photograph was taken at a hearing held at Waimako marae, Waikaremoana, in October 2004. In 2014, under the Ngāi Tūhoe Treaty of Waitangi settlement, the national park was disestablished and the area came under the administration of Te Urewera Board. This was an acknowledgement of the importance of Te Urewera to Tūhoe.

Using this item

Crown Forestry Rental Trust
Photograph by Keri Turuwhenua

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rangi McGarvey, 'Ngāi Tūhoe - Resistance: 1866 to 1872', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/4226/waitangi-tribunal-hearing-at-waikaremoana-2004 (accessed 16 October 2019)

Story by Rangi McGarvey, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017