From the 1920s the government agreed to the creation of Māori rural development schemes that included provisions for new housing. This is a house built for a Māori farmer in Reureu (near Whanganui) using a state loan and a Public Works Department design. The second image shows the farmer's dilapidated former home.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives (New Zealand), 1939, G–10.
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.