In the low-lying swamplands around Ōtaki, eels provided a major food source. This photograph shows preparations for the opening of the Raukawa meeting house in March 1936. Mrs Henry stands in front of eel-drying racks (pātaka-tuna) laden with gutted and dried eels.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.