In 1892 club cycling split into amateur and professional ('cash') clubs. The latter group was affiliated to the League of New Zealand Wheelmen. In 1899 the D. C. L. Whisky Company presented the league with this competition shield. It featured a cyclist mounted on a racing bike modelled in silver and surrounded by gold laurel wreaths. Three silver shields, intertwined with fern leaves and Scottish thistles, bore the D. C. L. badge and the Canterbury and Scottish coats of arms. Seventeen medallions were provided on which to record the names of winning competitors.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Steffano Webb Collection (PAColl-3061)
Photograph by Steffano Francis Webb
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.