These pinball machines were owned by a Wellington collector. The machine on the left is a Mills Official pinball, a model first produced in the United States in 1932. Mills was the first company to use the name ‘pinball’. The machine on the right was made in New Zealand and pre-dates the Mills Official. Both are coin-operated. The coin slots and ball spring-launcher are visible at the front. Neither of the machines has flippers to control the ball once it has been launched, as this innovation was not devised until 1947.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.