In 1874 a German group came to Terror Cove near Port Ross to observe the transit of Venus on 9 December. The members of the expedition, which was led by Hugo Seeliger, are shown in front of a wooden house, which had been built in Melbourne and re-erected on the island. They also constructed several domes for the observations. On the day itself, remarkably, the sky cleared and the transit was observed until the last part when the clouds returned. A French expedition to observe the transit on Campbell Island had a brief view of the sun just as the transit began. The bay where they built a station was aptly called Venus Bay.
Using this item
State Library of Victoria
Photograph by G. Wolfram
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.